When integrated with social media marketing, email campaigns reach a much wider audience and receive a much higher ROI. Find out how to use the Mailigen integrated marketing platform for email and social media marketing.
Why should you integrate social media in your emails?
According to research on marketing strategies in 2014 conducted by the digital asset management firm WebDAM, there are at least three excellent reasons for doing so:
- Social sharing buttons in emails increase click-through rates by 158%
- 52% of marketers found a customer via Facebook in 2013
- 43% of marketers found a customer via LinkedIn in 2013
How to add social sharing buttons to your emails
When you open, for example, our Mailigen newsletter, you will see social sharing buttons next to each blog entry. You can also add social sharing buttons to your newsletters and invite subscribers to share the whole email or parts thereof with their friends on social media. How can you do this?
When you get to the fourth step of creating an email campaign, place the cursor where you want to insert a social sharing button and click on “Social media links”.
A new window will open in which you will be able to effect all the necessary settings.
- If you mark “Newsletter achieve”, the recipient will be given the opportunity to share the content of the entire newsletter and the email subject line will serve as an introductory text.
- If you mark “Custom link”, you will have to enter a specific link that you want to share with recipients, for example, the link to your new blog article that you are promoting in the newsletter.
- Then, enter the text that will show up next to the buttons and select button size and spacing.
- Finally, choose the social networks where recipients will be able to share the content.
- Click on “Add bookmarks” and the social sharing buttons will be added to your newsletter.
How to share email content via images and texts
You can make people share your email content not only via social sharing buttons but also via the images and texts in your newsletter. How do you do that? The process is a little bit different for each social network, so we will describe it for the two most popular networks. The beginning is the same and starts with the fourth step of creating an email campaign.
- Choose an image or a section of text where you want to insert a sharing link.
- Then go to “Insert/Edit Link”.
A window will open and the next steps differ for each social network.
- Twitter supports the following URL sequence: http://twitter.com/share?url=[LINK-TO-THE-RESOURCE]&text=[MESSAGE-TEXT]&via=[REFERENCE-USERNAME]
- In the field “Link URL”, enter the following link: http://twitter.com/share?url=
- Continue with the link you want people to share, for example, http://blog.mailigen.com/how-to-improve-email-delivery-to-gmail/
- In order to add introductory text, continue with &text= and the text, for example, Read. Together, it will look like this: &text=Read
- In order to show the source, enter &via= and the text, for example, Mailigen. Together it will look like this: &via=Mailigen
- The complete link will look like this: http://twitter.com/share?url=http://blog.mailigen.com/how-to-improve-email-delivery-to-gmail/&text=Read&via=Mailigen
- You can then choose if the sharing link opens in the same or in a new window; add a title to the link and perform all the other usual operations for inserting a link in the email. Finally, click on “Update” and the sharing link will be added your newsletter.
- When the campaign is sent and the recipient clicks on the sharing link, a Twitter window will open and will look like this:
- Facebook supports the following URL sequence: http://facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=[LINK-TO-THE-RESOURCE]
- In the field “Link URL”, enter the following link: https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=
- Then continue with the link that you want people to share, for example, http://blog.mailigen.com/how-to-improve-email-delivery-to-gmail/
- The complete link will look like this: https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http://blog.mailigen.com/how-to-improve-email-delivery-to-gmail/
- When the recipient clicks on the sharing link, a Facebook window will open and will look like this:
To sum up
So consider scrupulously your email and social media integration. You can add social sharing buttons to your newsletter next to each article you want to promote in your email or create buttons to share the content of the entire email. This will broaden your audience and create bigger awareness for your brand. If you really want your email campaign to go viral, the social sharing option must be the main call to action. In this case, it is better to choose images, text and call to action buttons instead of the standard icon buttons in order to motivate people to share your email content.
Sign up for Mailigen bi-weekly newsletters and follow our updates on Twitter and Facebook. If you need any help or advice about how to integrate social media in your email campaigns, our expert team is always here to help you. If you have already made your email campaign viral, please consider leaving a comment detailing how you managed to do it.